[ExI] fanaticism, more

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:04:11 UTC 2020

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>>

> Keith Henson wrote:

>> To take this discussion up a level, the psychological traits behind
>> fanaticism, religions, and wars all evolved in the stone age.
>
>> I suspect without being able to articulate a proof, that they are all
>> part of the same set of traits that were selected by the vast number
>> of wars over the last 100k years or so.

> Interesting.  And what were those traits?

Discussed in excruciating detail here:

https://www.academia.edu/777381/Evolutionary_psychology_memes_and_the_origin_of_war

It and some other papers of mine are referenced here:

https://www.academia.edu/43534914/Memetic_Warfare_The_Future_of_War

And I discussed the topic in hundreds of posts on this list.  The
process starts along a path to wars by a group of people anticipating
a bleak future.  Tripping this detector turns up the gain for
circulating xenophobic memes.  If the perception of a bleak future
goes away, the xenophobic memes will subside.

While this is based on individual evolved psychological traits, it is
a social (group) phenomenon.  I.e. you don't get a war or the lead up
to wars with one person.

Keith