[ExI] Malthus and Marx

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jul 11 04:30:36 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Malthus and Marx

Nature, long regarded as a top-tier journal in virtually all fields of
science, recently published an overtly political article, that as scientist,
I have mixed feelings about. ...

Why is there no serious scientific support for alternative solutions
involving coupling economic growth with physical expansion through space.
Always the critics come with excuses like "manned space-flight is unsafe".
Well so is fighting World War III for resources. On the other hand,
maintaining communist solidarity while quietly starving to death in our
so-called "safe space" is not simply risky, it is guaranteed extinction
eventually.

Stuart LaForge

It is most disturbing.  Our economic models have long assumed long-term
growth.  At any time, if that growth stops happening for any reason, even
those completely beyond our control, the entire system collapses.  Those who
ran up the debts are blamed.  Then there is retribution.  We have not the
option of Marxism, for we must continue to grow if we continue to borrow
against the future.