[ExI] Some virus statistics

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:28:53 UTC 2020

I don't know that you can necessarily assume it was all due to masks (and
no, I'm not an anti-masker).  I live in CT and work in NYC (or did) so I've
seen what was actually done first hand.    Things started locking down in
NYC around March 10.  I know that because I went to a concert at MSG (with
some trepidation) the night of the 10th, and everyone was still out in
force.  On the 11th, the day after, they started cancelling major
events/large gatherings, and quickly moved to full lockdown.  CT and NJ
followed suit and began working together with NY to coordinate policy.

It was a very long time after that before phase I reopening in CT/NJ and
even longer in NYC.  In my experience, people here took the lockdown
seriously (with some grumblings).  For example, I live near I-95 which is
the main artery here.  It is normally a nightmare at rush hour and bad on
weekends.  It was almost empty for months outside of the usual tractor
trailers.   Anyone who could switched to Peapod for groceries and stopped
going out anywhere around here.

I don't doubt that masks helped, but I think a large part of the success
was people took it seriously and stayed home.

CT has also had zero deaths lately and an extremely low transmission rate.
 It is almost stopped spreading here.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 8:41 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <