[ExI] bond villain

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 1 00:42:53 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] bond villain

>…It is exciting for now, though it’ll eventually become routine. I recall reading that the public kind of lost interest in the Apollo program after the first Moon landing, and then the Apollo 13 disaster happened, but after that interest seemed to decline again.

>…The big deal about this flight got me is it seems an important milestone along the path to routine and far less expensive access to space. SpaceX even has tourist missions planned for next year. Personally, I want this to become so routine, safe, and cheap that it becomes boring.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan, ja, the launches were very popular in the 60s.  I remember the tourists from New York lining up along the river.  The launches were an exciting and dangerous stunt.  By the 70s, they had become safe and routine.

Fun aside: one of the most memorable things to me were the people who came down in motor homes and parked along the Indian River.  We thought those things were outrageously cool toys: drive you home wherever you want to go.  People we knew could never afford such an extravagant toy as that.  A small Airstream camper was high-end to us.  These people had this enormous Winnebago luxury liner.  I had the notion that everyone up north was rich.

That space tourism notion is great: I don’t know what else to use the station for other than a really expensive hotel.  The sooner we can sell it to Mr. Musk the better.