[ExI] ring of truth

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 1 13:41:43 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] ring of truth

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:01 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

 >> Perhaps it is the governor’s fault for failing to temporarily ban murderous riots.

>…Perhaps it's the police commissioner's fault for hiring murderous cops. …John K Clark

Clearly they had a bad apple on staff.

Having worked with organizations (Boy Scouts) it is clear how difficult it is to select a group of people while filtering out every bad apple and still avoiding discrimination.  No matter how carefully it is done, people can hide their bad intentions and character flaws.  Google on teachers caught with students.  Note they don’t even bother with men, for that is so common.  The above query returns almost all women, for that is a fun novelty which still makes the headlines.  All of these teachers made it thru the screening process.

In scouts, we have the decision for accepting leaders resting with a group of volunteers, none of whom are professionally trained to spot bad apples, all while under the threat of lawsuit if they discriminate.  We see that professionally-trained employment experts (indemnified from personal liability and covered by state funding) make mistakes, plenty of them.  But a privately funded volunteer organization is sued to bankruptcy for missing the occasional bad apple.

We have bad cops.  We get that.

Regarding the riots: there are at least three elements in play: the locals protesting police brutality, the opportunists from outside the area wishing to score on some loot, and anarchists from outside hoping to create chaos for political gain.

The local constabulary report that most of those they manage to arrest are in the second two categories.