[ExI] ring of truth

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 1 13:56:59 UTC 2020

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 11:32 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>Ja I know, this guy’s a comedian, not a scientist.  But this commentary has a ring of truth to it:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28I5WyLp15o <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28I5WyLp15o&feature=youtu.be> &feature=youtu.be

We are seeing the worldwide new cases go up as the southern hemisphere numbers go up (it’s flu season down there, with more people indoors, while the northern hemisphere has fewer.)

Now I am again thinking about herd immunity.  We recognize that it is inherently difficult to know if herd immunity is a significant factor, for the antibody tests are known to be unreliable if the immune system reacted quickly upon exposure and just took care of the virus (the antibodies are too sparse and difficult to detect.)

We have two models of a similar virus: the 1918 epidemic in which the second season was brutal, and the 2003 SARS outbreak, which apparently was stopped (by herd immunity?) after one season.  A vaccine was never found for either of the previous pandemics.

Now we face the second season of Covid-19 with way fewer options to shut down society: the second time around, a larger segment of the public will not follow orders.