[ExI] Well-roundedness and character

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Jun 4 16:40:06 UTC 2020

Subject: [ExI] Well-roundedness and character

>…The University of California system has permanently banned SAT and ACT test results from being a factor in deciding who will be admitted to their Universities. It's likely many other Universities in the US will follow this lead. They said they did it because standardized testing is racially biased due to the fact that rich white people can hire tutors to help their kids score high on the tests but poor black kids can't…John K Clark

This comment doesn’t say if rich black families and poor white families can hire SAT tutors.  Ideas?

But no worries, we can work this.  Instead of academics, we can have classes, clubs and tutors teaching roundedness.

If we do however, it is unclear to me how we define “top” universities.  If we de-emphasize academics, how do we know which those are?  Do we judge them on their football team?  Basketball?  Can we create a roundedness tournament?  What would the events be?

If sports are a measure of roundedness, we can create sports which can be ranked for the most roundedness per unit time invested.  We can cluster sports in such a way that instead of having the traditional track and field team, we can have the javelin team, the shot put team, the 100 meter team, the pole vault team and so forth, so that the usual participation level on the track and field team would count as several separate sports teams.  We can create clusters of clubs that meet at the same time in the same room, so that attendance counts for each.  The student with the most clubs and sports wins!

Meanwhile… our local immigrants from India and China are not fooled by any of this silly nonsense.  They know what is important.  Never letting a profit opportunity go to waste, there is a new local private company down the street which administers the SAT and ACT.  It is unclear if the SAT team and the ACT team will count as sports, but we can hope.