[ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jun 5 17:56:58 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 10:21 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>>…Since the start of the quarantine, I have been pondering the fact that we have built up cities with a population density high enough to make street traffic mostly impractical, social distancing nearly impossible and causing the proletariat to rely on mass transit, which we already know is inherently dangerous.

 For safety reasons, that level of population density must come down.  We don’t know how exactly.

>…Contrasting that is the fact that certain services - including ones we have come to depend on, such as schools and hospitals - are only practical with certain minimum population densities, and become more efficient - better able to serve more people on the same budget - with higher population densities….Well, today many bosses are forced to allow it, and inertia may make that an industry standard, lowering the fraction of the workforce that needs mass or private transit to and from an office.)

Well stated, Adrian.  I agree with all.

In the meantime, I am still thinking about a means of isolating people aboard mass transit, using something analogous to an electric wheelchair device with a plastic clamshell barrier around it.  The passenger just gets in, the chair rolls onto the train, rolls back off, goes to the office, without further instruction from the sleeping prole within.