[ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder

robot at ultimax.com robot at ultimax.com
Fri Jun 5 17:44:59 UTC 2020

1. /Marooned in Realtime/, (1992).  Changed my worldview.

2. Sounds like /The Ophiuchi Hotline/, but there are quite a few other
stories from that common setting, too.

Btw, the Sicilian mafia did start out as a self-protection organization,
a hybrid of grass-roots militia and vigilantes, when Sicily was invaded
by Crusaders.  After that, they experienced what might be called
"mission creep" or "loss of focus".  Like all human organizations, they
were not immune from the Iron Laws of Bureaucracy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Pournelle#Pournelle's_iron_law_of_bureaucracy
a special case derived from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_law_of_oligarchy

K3

On 2020-06-05 12:39, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 02:06:46 -0400
> From: Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 8:27 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <
>>
>> Again, I bring up abolishing the police. It should always be on the
>> table,
>> IMO.
> ### This is a brilliant idea and I entirely support it. No, seriously!
>
> Then I would be able to hire Al's Protection Racket, who come
> recommended
> by Vernor Vinge, or the Red Hand, recommended by John Varley, and I
> would
> feel much safer. The Red Hand are no slouches - nobody messes with the
> Red
> Hand!
>
> (Extra points for identifying the books!)