[ExI] sat scores and musical tastes

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:50:53 UTC 2020

Here is something I always wondered--and maybe should be ashamed of
thinking because I studied statistics in grad school:

So guessing on the SAT is weighted so the expected value of a question is
the same no matter whether you guess or leave it blank--negative 1/4 points
for a guess.

However, if you don't answer a question, you lower your maximum score, no
questions asked.

Now if wrong answers lost you more points to make the expected value of
guessing lower than not answering, I would find it hard to recommend
guessing.  But all things being equal, does guessing not have a hidden
value--that you MAY still get those points?  This is what I always
thought.