[ExI] Protest

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 00:54:23 UTC 2020

Italian fascism wasn’t majoritarian in any meaningful sense. In fact, early on, the parliament passed a law guaranteeing the party with the plurality equal to or greater than 25% got two thirds of the seats in parliament. This meant getting 25% of the deputies actually garnered 67%. This law was tailored to allow the fascists to play at elections yet safely never face an actual challenge to their power. The fascists merely had to prevent any other single party from getting enough votes. (This sort of thing only works in a multiparty system — which is what Italy had back then. Were it a two party system, no doubt, the Italian fascists would’ve sang a different song as their goal was to obtain and keep power — not to beholden to any particular law regarding elections.)

That’s very different from majority rule — where in order to get a majority of seats in a parliament, you’d have to win a majority of seats and not apportion them more to some plurality. Thus the call to have direct elections for president in the US is not at all like the fascist election law.

Also, Italian fascism was ‘defined’ in the 1920s. That’s when the party took power and also when the election law was passed. (The law was passed in 1924. That was the last competitive election in Italy until after the war. No doubt, had Italians had competitive elections during the 1920s and 1930s, fascists would’ve lost power. That was a risk they weren’t going to take.)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst