[ExI] Protest

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 9 17:37:13 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Protest

On Jun 8, 2020, at 3:49 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat

Hi Dan,

>…  We would like to crush looters, for we know what motivates them and we disagree with it…I agree with what the crowd at the BLM rally did in handing the vandal over to the guard.  Their action was what motivated me to go to that local BLM rally yesterday.  They did the right thing.  …

spike

>…Would you be willing to ‘crush’ the vandals revealed in this video:

https://www.motherjones.com/anti-racism-police-protest/2020/06/videos-show-cops-slashing-car-tires-at-protests-in-minneapolis/

Regards,

Dan

If this guy in the uniform is an actual vandal, of course I want to crush him.  They dress like police and cause all manner of chaos.

But they might be actual police, using an enforcement technique that makes perfect sense.

Imagine this scenario.  It isn’t hard to do:

https://www.rt.com/usa/490582-looting-califorina-protest-video/

After hours, store closed, somebody gets a forklift or other piece of heavy equipment to break into an electronics store, there is a mob present for some mysterious reason, perhaps for having been on an email circle, they rush in, grab something of value, run out, drive off.  This last part is important because that mall in Fairfield as well as plenty of others, would need a vehicle.  They can’t really carry off enough loot in their hands to justify the risk, and many (if not most) of these looters may not be from anywhere around Fairfield (I am guessing they aren’t.)

OK.  Looters need to park near the entrance so they can carry enough packages out the door in a short enough time.  So… police come in, don’t go into the store, just disable every car near the entrance.  Looter comes out, perhaps don’t notice at first, get out on the freeway with a trunk full of stolen loot, police car calmly falls in behind, the tire comes off the rim a few minutes later, we get an entertaining video of the felon deciding if she wants to flee, resulting in those dramatic showering sparks of bare rim on pavement.  Or she just gives up (more likely scenario.)

Then the prosecutors make a deal: hand over the identities of the others, they go easy.  Then they trace down the others, go to their houses, collect the stolen loot, the merchandise you and I paid for (through markups from insurance costs to retailers) is partially recovered.  Fewer injuries that way than getting into a battle with the mob at the mall.

If that is a real cop slashing tires, he would have had a law-enforcement reason to do that.