[ExI] Protest

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:21:10 UTC 2020

On Jun 8, 2020, at 3:31 PM, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> There are other ways to deal with such people rather than turning them over to a group of people who are known to brutalize other people.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
>
> You want to give them a good talking to?  Eh? Urge them to try therapy or positive psychology?
>  bill w

Well, first you can stop them from doing the vandalizing. That seems to have happened, no? Some people there stopped him forcibly from whatever it was he was doing. That's part of what I meant. And, yes, talking works too. Or do you think talking never works? How do people, including police in other Western nations, quite frequently de-escalate situations like fights? Usually through talk, no? (How do UK police get along with most of them not carrying guns?)

But it doesn't strike you at all as ironic that when protesting police misconduct, especially if as a protester you believe this is rampant and systemic, that you'd turn anyone over to the police?

(My guess is most people, including many if not most protesters, lack imagination and insight here. This is a terrible sin. The average person gets upset at police misconduct -- though only after decades of such and only after it's finally widely publicized to the point it's impossible to ignore. I don't expect the average person to think of all the ramifications here and that the problem almost certainly won't be solved by a few reforms.)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst