[ExI] Protest

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 19:40:34 UTC 2020

It was more bands than tribes, but recall my second sentence:

“If you go back far enough, yeah, people do discriminate, but it’s along different lines.”

In other words, yeah, discrimination goes back a long ways, probably into prehistory. My point was, rather, that modern categories of race are rather recent — dating to the modern period and, specifically, growing stronger in the 18th century. Sure, before that people found other ways to despise each other, but earlier people’s found other distinctions more compelling.

Also, I think there are some built-in defaults for people or one’s acquired early in life. Gender seems to be acquired very early — to the point that Cordelia Fine calls young children “gender detectives.” (See her _Delusions of Gebder_.) This might mean that if children aren’t raised to inculcate conventional categories, then they won’t default to these as adults.

And people hold many false ideas and stupid behaviors that would be better for them to change, don’t you think? For instance, it seems if you ask most people their view of everyday physics isn’t even Newtonian. It’s pre-Newtonian. Should we just give up and forget about trying to correct ideas that can actually be dangerous to hold? (Not understanding momentum and inertia can get you killed in many situations.)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst