[ExI] Video - Royal Institution lecture on AI and neural networks by Vint Cerf

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jun 14 21:11:04 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Ben
Zaiboc via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2020 1:41 PM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Cc: Ben Zaiboc <ben at zaiboc.net>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Video - Royal Institution lecture on AI and neural
networks by Vint Cerf

On 14/06/2020 15:20, BillK wrote:
> Will Computers Ever Think Like Human Beings?
> This talk was filmed in the RI on 9 March 2020.  58 minutes.
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J63mKverb8w>

OK, interesting, if a bit rambling, but it didn't address the question in
the title, "Will computers ever think like human beings?". It just pointed
out that they currently don't, which we all know, so the title is
misleading, even if the video is worth watching for other reasons.

--

Ben Zaiboc

Ben when I see these kinds of questions, I think about computer chess.  The
human vs computer competitions ended about a dozen yrs ago as it became
clear the best software can take the best of us.  Since then, the sport has
been computer vs computer.  What I find fascinating is that the games
silicon vs silicon produce are often more interesting than top-level carbon
vs carbon.  Clearly this software isn't thinking the way humans do, but
humans take interest in their games.

We have figured out how to write software which starts from scratch and
figures out how to win at a game humans have been playing in its modern form
for over 500 years.

We have chatterbots.  So let us see what software/software conversations are
about.  Will they "think" outside the box?  Will they come up with anything
that simulates understanding of our world?  Can they learn to make
interesting conversation?  Can we make it interesting to those of us who
have specific interests?  I think we can.  Computers don't need to think
like we do, they only need to entertain us with the digital prattling.