[ExI] powerful image

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 16 20:46:37 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] powerful image

>…I would have worn a brassiere and lipstick if it would have helped against that cold.   bill w

BillW, since you shared something so personal as the pantyhose comment (NTTAWWT) I will offer a funny story.

That time we were in Chicago, my colleague was heading to Pittsburgh but I had to go to Rochester New York.  We were changing planes in Chicago when this freezing gale started up.

In Rochester it was even worse: colder and stronger wind, coming mostly out of the west northwest.  The parking lot was west of the building so I would hafta walk into that to get to my car.  I started out, but then quickly came back in, because there was something like what I described as granular ice particles coming out of the sky.  I mentioned that to the locals and remarked that it was puzzling, for the sky wasn’t even cloudy: you could see the setting sun thru a hazy but not cloudy sky.  These ice crystals would hurt like hell when they struck a prole.  So I suggested I would just stay indoors until this stopped (thinking it would be a few minutes) but they informed me I might be here until next Tuesday.

I marveled that it could possibly be snowing under a mostly cloudless sky.  They explained to me lake-effect snow.

I had a plane to catch back to merciful California, and I did not intend to miss it, so I went back out, only to return.  I informed my colleagues from Rochester that this was going to kill me and that I planned to just save time, find a funeral home willing to make deliveries, they bring out the coffin, I hand them my credit card, I would get in and close the lid, just save everybody the time, be done with it all, good bye cruel world.

One kind soul had gone out there, fetched his car from the lot, and drove it up on the damn sidewalk in front of the building, tooted his horn and motioned for me to come.  He drove the helpless California summer child to my car.

About a year later, they were in my office when we had a small earthquake.  They freaked.  I told them no worries, I could tell by the S-wave that it was from deep subterranean fault motion, quite unlikely to wreck anything important.

So the Rochester people are afraid of earthquakes and California people are afraid of … snowflakes.  Well, certainly northeast-style “snow.”

In any case… I am thinking of that incident while I ponder what the Chicago newly-formed food deserts will look like.