[ExI] Dogs can detect COVID in human sweat

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed Jun 17 00:30:43 UTC 2020

This is pretty good news for COVID testing especially since it is so
quick and accurate.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/dogs-can-smell-covid-19-in-human-sweat/?fbclid=IwAR30Z3IKdEtvxlFUsr6CaRhMKRGiwf433Xx3qgGlZKPyvskrDksmYzO6D78#.XuhIffepqUA.facebook

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.03.132134v1.full

--------------------------
Abstract
The aim of this study is to evaluate if the sweat produced by COVID-19
persons (SARS-CoV-2 PCR positive) has a different odour for trained
detection dogs than the sweat produced by non COVID-19 persons. The
study was conducted on 3 sites, following the same protocol
procedures, and involved a total of 18 dogs. A total of 198 armpits
sweat samples were obtained from different hospitals. For each
involved dog, the acquisition of the specific odour of COVID-19 sweat
samples required from one to four hours, with an amount of positive
samples sniffing ranging from four to ten. For this proof of concept,
we kept 8 dogs of the initial group (explosive detection dogs and
colon cancer detection dogs), who performed a total of 368 trials, and
will include the other dogs in our future studies as their adaptation
to samples scenting takes more time.

The percentages of success of the dogs to find the positive sample in
a line containing several other negative samples or mocks (2 to 6)
were 100/100 for 4 dogs, and respectively 83/100, 84/100, 90/100 and
94/100 for the others, all significantly different from the percentage
of success that would be obtained by chance alone.

We conclude that there is a very high evidence that the armpits sweat
odour of COVID-19+ persons is different, and that dogs can detect a
person infected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.