[ExI] What happens to US space programs after November?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 05:18:22 UTC 2020

Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 1:26 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <

>> I am not so sure that it makes any sense for humans to live on the
>> moon even if there is something economic to do there.  I.e., what can
>> people do that robots/teleoperation can't?

> Fix stuff when the robots break in unexpected ways, which is either very
difficult/expensive or impossible to fix with the robots themselves.

> In theory this never happens.  In practice this almost always happens with
new tech of this nature.

The time to get a new robot to the moon is around two weeks.

Is it worth the many billion it would cost to keep humans on the moon?
 How do you propose to protect them from radiation?  I am highly
biassed in the direction of people in space, on the moon, and on Mars.
But I can't make an economic case for them.

Keith