[ExI] What happens to US space programs after November?

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 06:10:26 UTC 2020

John, I am not talking of "a totally self-sufficient colony" on the
Moon or Mars, not yet. I am perfectly OK with letting these things
take the time they must take.

I am talking of a small lab on the Moon, permanently occupied by
astronauts. Like an ISS on the Moon. I am talking of the smallest and
least ambitious moonbase that we can build and operate with the money
and the technology we have. We CAN do this, and commercial space
companies are bringing the cost down.

I think re-igniting the human spirit is a top priority. As you say,
different people get this ignition from different things. All I can
say is that I and many others didn't get it from the ISS and the
ISS-centered Shuttle, but would get it from a moonbase. It is that you
look up at the Moon, think that there are people living and working
there, think that there will be many more in the future, feel like a
small part of a big cosmic wave, and draw positive energy from the
wave that you can use here and now. Simple as that.

My experience is that some people get my point immediately, and some
never. Different psychological makeups I guess. Therefore we (the
former) must find practical arguments (business, military, whatever)
to sell a moonbase to the latter. I personally couldn't give less of a
damn, I think we must do it because we must do it.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 12:45 PM John Clark via extropy-chat