[ExI] What happens to US space programs after November?

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:15:51 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:02 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:53 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> There are promising indications that using helium-3 in fusion reactors
>> could be the way to achieve practical nuclear fusion. Further
>> developments have been funded by large energy companies and could
>> create a huge market for lunar helium-3.
>

> That's not a market until they achieve commercial breakeven.
>
> A friend of mine puts up https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521750967214014504/720279743970410566/LkKBNe1NW51Wh-8nLSTRdQtTha2sV1yY46vhUWcu_6g.png.webp whenever this discussion arises, to demonstrate the real challenge that needs to be overcome to make fusion a reality.

Adrian, that's why I said "could create" instead of "have created."
Ongoing developments, e.g. https://cfs.energy/ , could (I said could,
which doesn't mean will, but neither means won't) demonstrate the
practical feasibility of He3-enabled fusion. IF (I said IF) that
happens, the need for industrial supplies of He3 will be established
and lunar He3 mining initiatives will be funded. This is an ideal
scenario worth working toward.