[ExI] kiwis keeping it real

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jun 20 19:07:25 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] kiwis keeping it real

>…Yes, a few men get addicted, but overall I am in favor of …bill w

BillW, I have a another take on this for yas.

Picture in your mind the “resources” available for a curious adolescent 1960s or early 70s era nerd, math geek.  Normal girls won’t talk to him of course (that was before Bill Gates when being a nerd was actually a bad thing (Bill made nerdiness cool, geek chic.)  The hapless adolescent has no access to the theoretical Playboy magazine, even though he has seen one (briefly (before losing consciousness.))  Adults will not talk about these sensitive matters, because they assume he needs to be 17 or so (which is years away (so it really is National Geographic (it’s all we had.)))

OK now, picture the contrast between that, which is the best or perhaps the only resources available, to the very most titillating images or video available free on the internet today.

OK you can stop imagining that now.  Pay attention please.  Eyes up here youse guys.

Compare those two imaginary scenarios for… titillation-ness.  Titillability?  (What is the noun form of that term?)  Call it titillation factor, K sub t.  If your mind works the way mine does, those two K sub t factors are at least a couple of orders of magnitude from each other.  The titality of old NatGeos vs now really is that big, two orders of magnitude.

Here’s my fun thought for the day.  If you take the availability of good music or funny entertaining video now compared to what we had in my misspent childhood, that too is at least a coupla orders of magnitude better now than then, but I would estimate way more than that, perhaps three orders of magnitude compared to 50 yrs ago.

If you take the availability of educational materials from those benighted times and compare to free resources today, I would estimate those at four full orders of magnitude better now compared to then.  Even poor people can get to it in most places: our local public school is loaning Chrome Books and the library is offering free WiFi.

I do think we have collectively achieved a full four orders, a factor of ten-thousand in quality and availability in useful, interesting compelling, free educational resources, as we have seen a factor of a thousand improvement in entertainment, a factor of a hundred in… hey, eyes up here guys, focus, pay attention.

In our current challenging times with the pandemic and the lawlessness, do keep in mind:

Life… Is…. Goooooooood…