[ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 03:20:54 UTC 2020

Well, there are some differences:

- masks are more than socially acceptable, they are socially required in this situation.

They are also used to wearing masks and thus wear them correctly. I have only on a very, very few occasions seen a Japanese person with their nose outside their mask.

- dramatically lower obesity and diabetes levels. Also dramatically more exercise

- in general, Japanese do not touch things Americans touch. (I have only lived in these two countries so that’s my frame of reference.)

I have never seen a Japanese person touch a windowpane, either purposely or incidentally. One hardly ever sees fingerprints outside of tourist areas.

Japanese people are significantly less likely to touch railings when walking up and down stairs, or when riding escalators than Americans.

They are more likely to take stairs or escalators as compared to elevators. This reduces touching (buttons) and an enclosed breathing environment.

When they shop they are not likely to touch multiple products or look at the information without buying that product. They are also less likely to “decide against” purchasing a product they have already put in their basket.

The do not tend to touch walls, door frames, ledges, or other railings as often. They do not lean on or touch furniture as often.

Many things can be done “hands-free”, such as using an IC card for the train, grocery store, or restaurant. Where IC cards are accepted, it is completely contactless, no pin or button pressing required.

Service workers wearing gloves, in at least some sectors, is normal. My grocery store in Japan had all the cashiers wearing gloves in 2018. For other professions, like train attendants or policemen fabric gloves are either required or possible. It’s not, seemingly, as “weird”.

In many shopping centers, doors are either automatic or just... not there. Sometimes you do open doors, obviously, but I would say a place like my restaurant in Japan would have automatic doors or an open doorway rather than the “two doors with a tiny useless foyer” thing which is very common in US restaurants. I never saw this in Japan. Perhaps it is a leftover from coat-check, or to save on cooling/heating bills. These “airlocks” are found in basically every single US store or shopping center, in public libraries, government buildings, some schools.

This doubles door touching AND collects stagnant, covid-filled air.

- Different interaction style. While Japanese people are often forced to sit closer to each other due to the size of rooms and buildings, that’s not their general preference.

The level of physical touching among friends is a bit lower but also a different type. People seem unlikely to touch each other’s skin, generally.

Friends don’t tend to “pal around” or “horseplay”. Couples rarely hold hands or kiss in public.

I witnessed 0 Japanese people hugging other Japanese people in the 3 months I lived there. I’m 100% sure it happens but the “hug to say hi” thing... it’s not a thing. No cheek kissing either. And the mouth kissing thing my family does? Even less of a thing. Like negative a thing.

SR Ballard