[ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 29 21:06:35 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:07 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>>"Belgian officials say they are counting in a way that no other country in the world is currently doing…

> I can think of at least one other country which counts that way:

 https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/white-house-taking-very-liberal-approach-counting-covid-19-deaths

And we know it's true that the White House is taking a very liberal approach in counting COVID-19 deaths because justthenews.com <http://justthenews.com>  is a very liberal website and also becauseTrump said it's true, and everybody knows Trump always tells the truth.

John K Clark

Sure, but Trump didn’t say that however.  Ambassador and head of the coronavirus task force, Dr. Deborah Birx said it.  It doesn’t matter if it comes from a very liberal website, for this does not give it inherent credibility.  Dr. Birx is still the source:

"There are other countries that if you had a preexisting condition and let's say the virus caused you to go to the ICU and then have a heart or kidney problem. Some countries are recording as a heart issue or a kidney issue and not a COVID-19 death…United States…the intent is right now that...if someone dies with COVID-19 we are counting that as a COVID-19 death."  Dr. Deborah Birx

Trump’s attitudes on covid are irrelevant for he has no jurisdiction on how states deal with it or how states count their covid mortality.  There is very little the US Fed can do really.  It can can restrict international travel which would help perhaps, but we can look at it this way.  The USA has an ocean on either side.  Nearly all international travel requires sitting on a plane for a long time with other proles.

Anyone who thinks social distancing on a plane is effective against covid is fooling herself.  If any single person has covid on a plane, every person on that plane is at risk.  The passengers sitting close are more at risk, but all are at risk.  With the long overseas flights, the risk is greater, for the risk is proportional to the amount of time spent on the plane.  Think of trans-Pacific flights or even just to Hawaii.  The US has a lot of international travelers.  So does Belgium.  So does Sweden, France, UK, Italy, all the really hard-hit places.