[ExI] Space and religion are the likeliest pathways out of decadence: Ross Douthat

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:53:33 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 4:14 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat <

> *Space and religion are the likeliest pathways out of decadence: Ross
> Douthat*

This list is not nearly as libertarian as it once was but even so I'm not
sure Ross Douthat is the best authority to bolster your case around here.
When Playboy founder Hugh Hefner died at the age of 91 Ross Douthat said he
was "a father of smut addictions and eating disorders, abortions and
divorce and syphilis" and a "grinning pimp of the sexual revolution" and "a
leering grotesque" and  "a lecherous, low-brow Peter Pan". It doesn't seem
that Mr. Douthat liked Hugh Hefner very much, but I've got to say he makes
decadence sound a lot more fun than the puritanism he advocates. He wants
abortion banned but strangely he also thinks birth control should be
illegal, and he thinks gay marriage should be illegal too. Oh I almost
forgot, he wants the government to ban all pornography.

John K Clark