[ExI] Space and religion are the likeliest pathways out of decadence: Ross Douthat

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 08:27:42 UTC 2020

Dan, thanks for directing me to this very interesting paper.
I think the term "decadence" is used in two different ways.
1. There's the "decadence" of those who do sex, drugs, and rock&roll.
I don't consider this as decadence, provided they do also other
things. I am a libertarian at heart, and think everyone should be free
to think, say, and do wtf they want as long as they don't directly
harm others.
2. Then there's the real decadence of those who have lost the
imagination, motivation, and energy to do big things like going to the
Moon and colonizing the solar system and tomorrow the stars. I think
this is real decadence.
Now, some people (perhaps including Douthat himself), conflate these
two *very different* things, decadence(1) and decadence(2). I don't,
but the possibility that Douthat does doesn't prevent me from agreeing
with him that decadence(2) is a very disturbing trend that should be
stopped. And I agree that some intersections of space and religion
could provide the best way out of decadence(2).

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 6:48 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat