[ExI] meanwhile, back in california...

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Mar 7 23:04:40 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] meanwhile, back in california...

Mixing science with politics results in politics.

spike

Yeah, but I'll bet if the Gov told somebody to get trucking, something would get done  The scientists have no power like that  bill w

The Gov did tell somebody, and something did get done.  That is how we got to these numbers in the table below.  We can’t talk about them in polite company of course, for fear of making the US government look competent.  That risk would be worse than the actual virus (oh horrors, how shall we cope?)

Fortunately for us, I am not polite company:

nation

confirmed cases

million proles

cases per million

times worse than USA

China

80652

1,345

60.0

49

South Korea

7041

51.26

137.4

113

Italy

5883

60.49

97.3

80

Iran

5823

84

69.3

57

France

949

65.3

14.5

12

Germany

799

83.8

9.5

8

Spain

500

46.8

10.7

9

Japan

461

126.5

3.6

3

USA

401

329

1.2

=1

Switzerland

268

8.7

30.8

25

UK

206

67.9

3.0

2

We might point out that most nations in Africa have no cases, and their governments have done nothing.

Or we might point out that travel spreads the virus.  Smoking hot western economies have a lot of travel in and out.  Result: rich countries get a lot of disease.  Solution: shut down international travel for a few weeks.  The economy will recover.