[ExI] perspective on covid

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 8 17:29:27 UTC 2020

A continuation of our notion of Gaia saved by a virus:  the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases suggests not flying or cruising.

When I was travelling for business, I was the one who kept insisting we could be doing a lot of that business on the video conferencing and not need to fly across the country.  I was surprised it was an unpopular suggestion.

It is easy enough to imagine that covid risk could force or compell that solution on a lotta companies, which would serve as a motive to get their video conferencing facilities up to speed and demonstrate there is a better way to do things.  Working from the local office is so much more efficient.  When I was flying across the country, it was the functional equivalent of two travel days for one office day.  My hours were one for the price of three.  Planes are expensive and risky.  Phones are cheap and safe.  Phones are my friends.

My fond hope is that a benefit from covid is that companies are dragged kicking and screaming to greater efficiency.