[ExI] can't feed em

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:08:09 UTC 2020

The kids at my work, their parents are all ima similar situation. Mostly, my co-workers are the eldest, and will have to quit working to look after the kids.

Awkward for 2 reasons:

(1) They provide a good portion of the family income, generally “covering” the utilities.

(2) This is the last moment you want to experience a cash crunch. Anyone’s work could close in a moment’s notice. My coworker, or more pointedly, their parents.

This is a time where the #1 priority of hourly workers, such as myself, is stockpiling cash and food.

We, as a group, do not have savings. I have some, had more, but got engaged 3 weeks ago.

Without savings, living paycheck to paycheck, low stores of food in the house, most low-income hourly people (like me, make $13K before taxes in a year) are sweating bullets.

Missing 2 days of work can make people in my situation late on rent. 2 weeks out of work means eviction. There’s no way to catch up after all the late fees.

We all rent. Often with many roommates. One of my roommates is now out of work until the whole thing blows over.

Sure, I can make it. I’m paranoid and always saving money. But other low income earners can not afford to have that bit of their income taken away.

Being short on babysitters and food is one thing, but eviction is something else. Here in Texas, some people who pay weekly could be out on the street 7 days after they can’t pay the rent.

And even when (if?) those low hourly jobs come back, now the barriers to renting are so very high with an eviction on the record... the cost of renting can nearly double in my local area.

Perhaps the US will do something like Italy and “suspend” payments, but I doubt we would be so lucky.

The repercussions of evictions will be quite large. With no work, there’s no money for transient forms of housing. More people living in their cars and on the streets.

I’m not saying this WILL happen, of course, but the possibility needs to be confronted.

I, like everyone, see the parallels to 2008. But there are other things you can compare it to. None of which are as “polite” as 2008.

Now really is a time where we are going to have to decide if we want a social safety net or not, as a country.

Social services have a very real possibility of breaking down, like in spike’s example.

What about SNAP (food stamps)? Many people on it live too far from a grocery store to get food is public transit were to be closed.

I would be physically unable to get to work without public transit.

Etc...

SR Ballard