[ExI] viruses

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 23:26:07 UTC 2020

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 08:15, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> It is my understanding that your body kills a virus or the virus kills
> your body.  There is only symptomatic treatment, right?
>
> So just how is corona going to overwhelm our health system?  People will
> seek treatment but there isn't any - stay home and don't infect others.
>
> Plenty of fluids; aspirin for fever; supplemental oxygen for severe
> cases.  What else?
>
> Who knows?

There are many supportive treatments that may be useful if someone is
severely unwell due to a virus that cannot itself be directly treated. For
example, they may get a secondary bacterial infection that can be treated
with antibiotics, or they may need ventilation in an intensive care unit.
If the secondary effects of the virus can be managed the patient may
survive where otherwise they would die.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou