[ExI] L5 society and infections

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Mar 21 15:01:55 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] L5 society and infections

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020, 4:41 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

On the other hand I don't know how much radiation the colony would receive or how much it would weaken the human immune system.

>…Presumably space habitats would be built with enough radiation shielding to bring total radiation exposure down to approximately Earth surface levels.

That problem turns out to be far more difficult than it sounds.  An atmosphere is a great way to filter some kinds of particularly harmful radiation.  A sheet of metal creates a bunch of secondary particles when struck by high-energy particles.  To filter out the bad stuff requires a lot of material.  This makes me think we must have a way to use material already out there, such as from the asteroid belt.