[ExI] Uploads

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 03:17:01 UTC 2020

Ben Zaiboc <ben at zaiboc.net> wrote:

"Will a copy of you really be you?"

That's one of the questions that were answered in the early days.

Yes, each and every one of them.  Of course, after the coping, the
copies start diverging as separate people.

Now. do you want to make a copy?  The proposed rule that came out of
those discussions was since a copy has the same rights, you have to
split your resources with the copy.  If you make lots of copies, they
are going to be poor.

In "The Clinic Seed" and other places I proposed bidirectional
uploading to avoid this problem.

[List of SF authors]

I have a problem with most SF authors, even ones I really like.  The
stories often have a galaxy full of high tech aliens.  Good for
stories, but this seems to be unlikely since it looks like we are
alone in the galaxy and could be alone in the universe.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1806.02404.pdf by former list member Anders
Sandberg.

Keith