[ExI] shining example and COVID-19

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 16:13:59 UTC 2020

For years I have been toying with the notion that perhaps Asperger’s is the
form of autism in which the autistic person recognizes he or she is
emotionally out of step with most of the rest of human race, but decides to
try to join mainstream humanity.  The person is mentally capable enough to
look deep within and ask why, then take steps to counteract those factors.

spike

*Social and emotional intelligence are fairly recent topics in psychology,
thanks to a few trailblazers like Goleman.  Social awkwardness or at times
cluelessness are all over the place relative to IQ or any other factor you
can name.  My own emotional intelligence is very, very high according to
the online tests I take, but my social intelligence is below average (but
not off the charts as some autistics and those with Asberger's are).  I
have discussed social situations with students 30 years my junior and have
been corrected, taught, enlightened etc. by some of them.  (That is typical
of an INTJ, if you have any interest in the Myers Briggs.)  I am now far
more careful about what I say and do in social situations than I was much
earlier in life.  It's almost like AA - I want to go back and apologize to
those I have hurt along the way with frankness and clumsiness, however
innocently motivated.*

*bill w*

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 8:15 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <