[ExI] COVID-19 ecology

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:30:03 UTC 2020

Maybe someone here or even in media has speculated on this... With over seven billion people around, many of them discussing this pandemic, it’s probably been mentioned but I’ve missed it. Anyhow, I was thinking that the responses to the pandemic, especially physical distancing, must have an impact on the wider ecosystem. After all, humans (and their pets*) transport around microbes and macrobes (think of fleas and mites), and the responses have mostly gone in the direction that would slow down if not stop this living transportation network.

I recall years ago reading about ‘citizen scientists’ swabbing railings in major metro areas to see what kind of bacteria folks were carrying around. I wonder if that sort of thing has been continued and if there are reliable censuses that we can refer to to see if COVID-19 measures have radically changed.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst

* I’m used to interacting with cats and dogs on my neighborhood. That’s basically stopped due to physical distancing. In fact, many of my neighbors now keep their cats indoors all day long. This not changes/stops the transport network, but will likely mean less predation by house cats — another ecosystem impact.