[ExI] Even India and Haiti do it better

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon May 11 21:41:45 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Even India and Haiti do it better

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:06 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>> Trump is strongly in favor of Strong Encryption only for government use so they can keep secrets from us but we can't keep secrets from them…John K Clark

> Presidents don’t make laws.  Congress does.  Aren’t you glad we have a constitution?  Me too.

Spike, every time I point to something terrifying Trump has done you point to a piece of dried wood pulp and tell me not to worry because that thing will protect us from him. Have you ever seen the 1938 video of Neville Chamberlain returning from a trip to Munich and waving around a different piece of paper and claiming it would protect us from a different very bad man?

Neville Chamberlain and Peace in our Time <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Dy49lW20g>

John K Clark

John, while doing an internet search for something else, I ran across an internet post by you from October 2016.  You were predicting at that time all manner of horrifying futures should Trump be elected; war with Russia or other nuclear catastrophe among them.  None of it happened.  Up until the virus crushed economies all over the globe, we had a great run.

The constitution limits the damage any one bad actor (or group of them) can do.  The government’s reach is inherently and very intentionally limited, even in a crisis, as we are seeing.

That dried piece of wood pulp has survived every bad politician in US history.  It has survived every politician who would defeat it (which is the best definition of the term bad politician.)  The anvil wears out the hammer.  I am betting the constitution will live and flourish for our lifetimes and the lifetimes of those reading this message.

Aren’t you glad we have a constitution?  I am too.