[ExI] drugs and diagnosis

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:35:45 UTC 2020

Well, as with most things, there's a history here.

Medicine in america /was/ pretty unregulated.

Then in 1932 a major national sports celebrity, Eben Byers, died from
spending 5 years of chugging so much radium water his skeleton started
dissolving. He died of, basically, cancer-of-the-everything.

The federal government, which was already in a
flexing-it's-muscles expansive kind of mood, used the incident to build the
foundations of our modern medical regulatory state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Byers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <