[ExI] Is a copy of you really you?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:16:25 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 3:51 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

*> Personally, I would regard them starting out as the same person, but
> immediately becoming two distinct people who used to be the same person.
> "You" is timeline-dependent.  The "you" of tomorrow is not the "you" of
> today, and neither are the "you" of yesterday.*

I agree with all of that. And the "you" of yesterday could be said to have
survived for another day if today there is something that remembers being
the "you" of yesterday, and the name of that thing is the "you" of today.
So far there has only been one thing like that on any given day that meets
that definition, but that's only because of technological limitations and
need not always be true.  That's why I think the English language is going
to need major modifications in the way it treats personal pronouns if it's
going to remain being useful.

John K Clark