[ExI] Is a copy of you really you?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat May 30 22:17:17 UTC 2020

Robin D Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

(re my objection to copies)

> I disagree; I wrote a whole book describing a reasonable world where many copies are made:
http://ageofem.com

And you might be right, nobody has a lock on what the future will turn
out to be, certainly not me.

However, I have two objections.  My work in evolutionary psychology
leads me to feel very uncomfortable about using humans as a model for
building minds.  Humans have traits like capture-bonding and those
which lead up to wars that were selected. Having one of those (or ones
we don't know about) activate in a powerful AI seems intolerably
dangerous.

The other objection is right out of economics.  If it is cheap to copy
something its value falls to the marginal cost.  I.e., one Michael
Jordan is valuable, at least to him.  10,000 of them would have an
interesting time finding teams to play with.

But, as I freely admit, you might be right and a vast number of copies
could be the path to utopia.

Keith