[ExI] owwwww, dang

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Nov 2 19:11:59 UTC 2020

On 02/11/2020 17:09, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 2:56 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 31/10/2020 22:09, ExiMod wrote:
>     > Regrettably I have had to place John Clark on moderation as he
>     cannot
>     > be trusted to post sensibly to Exi-chat.
>     > This will apply at least until after the election next week.
>     > John can still read Exi-chat, but his posts will be queued awaiting
>     > approval before posting.
>     > Delays will be unpredictable, depending on other commitments.
>     >
>     > Note: This does not apply to Extropolis, where there are no
>     restrictions.
>     >
>     > ExiMod
>
>     I have to express my objection to this, as John's post (that
>     apparently
>     triggered this) was not about american politics, it was about the
>     running of the Exi-Chat list.
>

> No, it was about American politics too.
>
> It contained a reminder that the US President controls the American
> nuclear launch codes, a point John has hammered repeatedly to
> underscore the urgency and importance of removing Trump from office -
> implying shame upon anyone who does not give their every waking moment
> and all their wealth to defeating Trump (and thus preventing Trump
> from initiating a nuclear war), which was part of the original reason
> to move politics chat to another list.
>
> As often, XKCD has a strip about this sort of fallacy:
> https://xkcd.com/2368/ .  The alt-text/mouseover-text is
> particularly relevant here.

Reminders and implications. I considered it to be a meta-post, about the
list, not about politics. I'm one of the people most likely to be turned
off by constant political discussion and argument on here, and have
several times in the past just stopped reading the list until it was
safe to do so again. John't post didn't upset me in the least, but
obviously it did upset you.

I don't see the relevance of the xkcd strip, or how the fallacy
mentioned there applies here. Perhaps it's too subtle for me.

--
Ben Zaiboc