[ExI] fossil fuels and nukes (was: Re: what did we learn?)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Nov 3 22:36:45 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

Ben it’s all about launch costs.  If we can solve that with a vehicle that doesn’t throw away hardware (all recoverable) then we are good.  But that engineering problem has proven remarkably difficult.  I am thinking in the short term.  next 30-50 years.  It’s nukes and coal for baseload until we can get space-based solar going, if we ever do.

>…What about lunar-built-and-launched solar power?  Or putting solar panels on eternally-sunlit parts of the Moon (after having built them on the Moon, to reduce transport costs) and beaming from there?

I hope it works.  I am encouraged at the recent findings about water on the moon.  That will be our fuel source if we ever manage to build all the stuff we need on the moon.  Adrian I have a hard time seeing this stuff coming in the near term, unless we manage to create a replicating assembler.