[ExI] smartwatch update

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 20:04:27 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 2:40 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> There was no instruction as to how to turn it off, or even if you were
> supposed to, so I bought not one but two manuals for it on Amazon, one
> marked 'senior'.

Why would you want to turn it off? If you do, just let the battery drain.

If you know:  are they depriving us of any really useful enclosures with
> tech equipment so we have to buy manuals and such?

No, they're just considered unnecessary.

>   If so, this is just shameful treatment of old people.  One manual I
> bought was clearly written by an Asian whose knowledge of grammar was at
> best barely sufficient (meaning that it was not correct but you could
> figure out what he was saying), and at worst incomprehensible.  Where are
> the English copy editors? Too expensive?  It honestly reminded me of
> Japanese printer manuals of the 1980s, at the time the most complex writing
> I ever encountered.

These days I suspect most are done using Google Translate. Writing a good
manual for a high tech device intended to be used by the elderly is
extremely difficult, and that's generally not the target demographic.
Someone could write a Smartwatches for Dummies book, but since Apple
dominates the market, it'd be Apple Watches for Dummies.

It promises to be a marvelous thing, able to link with my phone and so on.
> But the learning curve is really rather flat at this point.  Very
> disappointing.  Will I ever walk with a cane?  Given these pills,
> probably.  Will I pay someone to learn to use this watch and teach it to
> me?  Hmm.  At this point, likely.

Find a teenager.

-Dave