[ExI] Beyond Meat

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Nov 6 20:29:17 UTC 2020

On 05/11/2020 23:26, bill w wrote:
>  (I'm probably not even averagely-intelligent, to be honest).  ben
>
> Ben, the quote of the day a few days ago by Golda Meir, seems to apply
> to you:  "Don't be humble; you are not that great."
>
> You would have been hounded out of this group and totally humiliated
> as a result of stupid opinions if were you not above average.    bill w

Oh, I don't know. I suspect I may be that great :-[.

I don't deny that for certain kinds of thinking (that partially overlap
the kind of thinking that goes on here), I'm almost certainly above
average, but there are many areas where I know I'm sorely lacking.
Mathematical thinking is one of them, as some of you will know (and it
vexes me greatly, because I know (or at least glimpse) what I'm
missing). But there are many other areas. This group, I'm sure, will
over-value some kinds of intelligence, and under-value or even totally
discount others. I'm trying to overcome that bias, and look at a wide
range of areas that could be called 'intelligence', and reckon that,
averaged over all of them, I'd come in at under 50%. I'm not singling
myself out, either. I wouldn't be surprised if some others that read
this list will be similar.

I don't remember who said it, but I take this advice seriously: Hang out
with people who are smarter than you, some of it might rub off.

--
Ben Zaiboc