[ExI] Massive galaxies grew in the early universe

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 21:39:12 UTC 2020

This research might help Spike's worries about gravitational waves
from the early universe.

<https://knowridge.com/2020/10/massive-galaxies-were-surprisingly-mature-in-the-early-universe-says-study/>

Quote:
Massive galaxies were surprisingly mature in the early universe, says study.
By National Radio Astronomy Observatory       October 29, 2020

Massive galaxies were already much more mature in the early universe
than previously expected.
This was shown by an international team of astronomers who studied 118
distant galaxies with the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array
(ALMA).

Most galaxies formed when the universe was still very young.
Our own galaxy, for example, likely started forming 13.6 billion years
ago, in our 13.8 billion-year-old universe.

When the universe was only ten percent of its current age (1-1.5
billion years after the Big Bang), most of the galaxies experienced a
“growth spurt”.
During this time, they built up most of their stellar mass and other
properties, such as dust, heavy element content, and spiral-disk
shapes, that we see in today’s galaxies.