[ExI] Massive galaxies grew in the early universe

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed Nov 11 14:53:54 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 01:40:22 PM PST, BillK via extropy-chat

> This research might help Spike's worries about gravitational waves
from the early universe.

> <https://knowridge.com/2020/10/massive-galaxies-were-surprisingly-mature-in-the-early-universe-says-study/>
>
> Quote:
>
> Most galaxies formed when the universe was still very young.
> Our own galaxy, for example, likely started forming 13.6 billion years
> ago, in our 13.8 billion-year-old universe.

I do think that galaxies have a surprising amount of structure for
their age. To put this into perspective, consider that the sun and our
solar system orbits the galactic nucleus once every 230 million years.
That means that there has only been enough time for our sun to have
orbited the galaxy about 60 times since the big bang. To have gone
from a nearly homogenous cloud of dust and gas to the beautiful spiral
disk shape in less than 60 revolutions seems unbelievably fast.
Especially since most computer simulations I have seen online seem to
have the galaxy spinning like a top and many more than 60 times.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-25dEcY-WU

Stuart LaForge