[ExI] zoom creates language weirdness

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Nov 13 15:58:26 UTC 2020

Thanks to BillW on another list for the idea:

The term banding together is redundant, but banding apart is an oxymoron.
Rather it was an oxymoron until covid forced our schools into Zoom.  Now our
HS band program is still with us, but in some ways better: the students
cannot play in unison online because of latency.  So. the teacher is
focusing on music theory, and we discovered she is really good at that.

Now the students master their parts, record it with their home equipment (on
400 dollar ChromeBooks) with headphones playing the drum part so they can be
synchronized, then the bandleader volume adjusts the parts to balance, puts
it all together.

Fun part: the pitches can be autotuned, so the product of their banding
apart is better than they can play if they band together.