[ExI] The Age of Sex Robots

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Nov 15 15:53:12 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] The Age of Sex Robots

Psychology Today
David W. Wahl Ph.D.     Nov 13, 2020

The pros and cons in this emerging sexual age.

<https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/sexual-self/202011/the-age-sex-robo
ts>

Quote:
The question here is not whether or not sex robots are coming (they
are) or how they are going to be continually evolving. The question here
concerns the psychological and social ramifications that may accompany this
brave new sexual world. As with any technology, there is a laundry list of
pros and cons to consider.
--------------

The author considers the problems of using sex robots as misplaced human
relationships.
What if, as sex robots continue evolving, humans find that en masse they
*prefer* sex with advanced robots? The birth rate in western society is
already plummeting, so will reproduction just stop?
Robots are rather expensive, but wealthier humans could have a harem of sex
robots to play with.
What's not to like?   ;)

BillK

Reproduction will not stop.  There are plenty of people who want the family
life experience, or rather enough of them to keep humanity from going
extinct.  If they get good with them, they will be a gift.  I am thinking
about the rental market in particular.  Plenty of married older men would
see it as morally wrong to employ a harlot (I do consider that very wrong
and have never done it.)  Those same guys might give a robot a whirl for the
same price (I don't see that as a violation of the marriage contract or any
form of adultery, and carries no risk from what I can tell.)

I have little doubt there are plenty of humans who will prefer robot sex,
and these are exactly the market we need.  Plenty of people realize they
want family life eventually but they are not suitable parents yet: not
financially secure enough, need more education, want to achieve a certain
social rank etc.  I completely understand.  For those we create good sex
machines, take care of their bio needs until they achieve those goals, all
is good.  Plenty of older people lose their spouse in later years.  They
still want to copulate, but recognize the risk and disadvantages of forming
a new marriage in the later years.

This one will be better than flying cars, but is achievable.  They never
really covered it in the Jetsons, but they shoulda.