[ExI] The Age of Sex Robots

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 21:59:27 UTC 2020

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 at 17:47, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> Sex and reproduction are already nearly delinked in Western society.  The advent of more ways to have sex that do not lead to reproduction does not seem like it will have a significant further impact on birth rates.

Both you and Spike think that sex robots will have little effect on
the birth rate. But even without robots the western birth rate is
steadily reducing. There are still many abortions at present and the
estimate is that around half of unplanned pregnancies are aborted, so
that is a lot of unplanned pregnancies. Apparently quite a lot of
women using contraceptives still manage to get pregnant.
I agree that there is probably a minimum birth rate level where there
will always be some people who want to have children, but that level
might be below the level required to maintain the population level.
Another thought is that as sex robots become more capable and have AI
added (Siri?) they will become companion robots, not just sex dolls.
And it would be a good idea to supply these advanced sex robots (and
contraception) free of charge to countries that still have high birth
rates otherwise their population will outnunber western societies in a
generation or two.

BillK