[ExI] Fwd: year round school

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:19:33 UTC 2020

 Bill W wrote:
"Just wondering on a different subject:  how many high school grads read
books like those they studied in Western literature?  Maube more than those
that use algebra, but I'll bet it's not many.  the average American reads
one book a year.  Which means, of course, that quite a large percentage
read no books at all. (Here is a good case for using the median, not the
mean - put a lot of zeros in the equation and it skews the mean).

Intellectuals plan curricula.  Maybe they should have some blue collar
workers on those committees to bring a tint of reality to the
requirements.  Home Ec - how to raise children - home finances - religion -
civics - courses everyone needs and no one gets."

I find it hard to believe that  the average American only reads one book a
year, especially considering all the books that are sold annually. Even the
less educated/cultured folks I know, still read at least 2 or 3 books a
year, usually horror, romance or thrillers.

Yes, it would be nice if every public high school taught home finance,
civics, home ec and auto shop. My highschool had long since phased out auto
shop and teaching driver's education, by the time I got there. But keep in
mind that even music departments at public schools are often seen as
expendable.

I never received the "good at math genes" despite coming from a family of
nothing but engineers, on my father's side of the family. I have an uncle
who was actually inducted into the IBM Engineering Hall of Fame! But I have
never met him. I recall taking an algebra class in college, which started
at 7am and I am not a morning person... Lol And on top of that, the
instructor talked at auctioneer speeds! We would shout, "slow down," she
should apologize, and then a few minutes later be back again at oral warp
speed 9.

John

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 10:22 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <