[ExI] plastic turkeys

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Nov 19 23:56:43 UTC 2020

>>…Regarding the seams on your shampoo bottle and milk jug, what did you see?

spike

Subject: Re: [ExI] plastic turkeys

>…See?  Nothing that I can make sense of.  bill w

If you put that seam under a microscope, it would look like a ridge but not a groove.  This is important, for that seam is the site on which two similar mold halves were fused together.  The reason that is important is that there is more material along the fusion site than elsewhere, for that process of fusing the two pieces after the initial thermal-setting does not create the same number of bonds as the initial injection mold process.

If you take an empty milk jug, fill it with water, take it out in the front yard and hurl it into the air, good chance it will not rupture.  You will come away with new respect for ABS: marvelous stuff.  But if you take it up to the fourth floor and hurl it to the ground, it will rupture.  If those seams did not contain extra material, the jug would rupture into two halves along that seam.  So… they compression-fuse it in such a way that there is more material on the seam.

Next, note that the two fused pieces are mirror images.  This is done for a reason.  If a weak spot from stress concentration in one side is discovered, the other side has that too for the same reason.  Both can be fixed by the same process.

Lesson: there is a lot of science in ABS plastic.  The guy who designs the mold to create those plastic turkeys has a great job.  She gets to use science and engineering in her job every day.