[ExI] Can We Wipe Out All Coronaviruses for Good? Here’s What a Group of 200 Scientists Think

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 09:24:39 UTC 2020

"But if the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that we have to fight back
<https://singularityhub.com/2020/04/10/a-new-pandemic-playbook-so-next-time-were-ready/>.
Not reactively, but proactively.

The study paints two roads towards a hopeful future. With one, it showed
how global collaboration rapidly merged theoretic and lab studies with
existing clinical data. In practical terms? Faster identification,
approval, and deployment of existing drugs against a new coronavirus strain.

The other road is rockier but with an even brighter end. The team basically
drew up a scientific recipe to potentially end coronaviruses once and for
all. This is just the beginning. But as Dr. Pedro Beltrao, a study leader
at EMBL’s European Bioinformatics Institute, said
<https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/10/418796/international-team-scientists-identifies-common-vulnerabilities-across>,
“After more than a century of relatively harmless coronaviruses, in the
last 20 years we have had three coronaviruses which have been deadly…We
have the capability to predict pan-coronavirus therapeutics that may be
effective in treating the current pandemic, which we believe will also
offer therapeutic promise for a future coronavirus as well.”

https://singularityhub.com/2020/10/27/can-we-wipe-out-all-coronaviruses-for-good-heres-what-a-group-of-200-scientists-think/