[ExI] Eventbrite/Zoom addiction!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Nov 21 03:46:59 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Eventbrite/Zoom addiction!

>…I had to learn how to buy used cars and it saved me bunches.  Never bought a new one and would advise anyone not to.  Share your tricks, Spike?   bill w

I have had both.  In general one does better with used cars.  For teenagers, I suggest recognizing this isn’t their dream machine: that can wait for later because they will have more money later.  Great deals can be had with a good solid big American rig such as the Lincoln Town Car, Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis.  Reason: for teenagers who live in the Bay Area, they don’t need to go far usually, so giving away some gas mileage for lowered maintenance cost is a good trade-off.  Then when they are ready to move up, they can get much of their money back out of it.

Disclaimer: I drive a Lincoln Towncar, before that a Grand Marquis, both well used when I bought them, neither car cost me much of anything in maintenance, and what few repairs there were I was able to do them myself.  My Towner is now 18 yrs old.  I bought it 5 yrs old and about 60k for a third of its sticker price, put 120k on it since then, never cost me much of anything.  Great car.  Still looks new.

Teenagers can buy those rigs for about 5k.  Great deal.  Eh, so they are stodgy and square.  You look like your grandpa.  But the way I see it, that gives them incentive to work hard, save their money, wait till later to be hip.